Wednesday 11 June 2014

Belajar Grammar Focus


GRAMMAR FOCUS Unit 1-10
·         Statement with be ; possessive adjectives
Statement with be
Contraction of be
Possessive adjectives
I’m from mexico
You’re from Brazil
He’s from Japan
She’s a new club member
It’s an exciting city
We’re in the same class
They’re my classmates
I’m = I am
You’re = You are
He’s = He is
She’s = She is
It’s =  It is
We’re =  We are
They’re = They are
My
Your
His
Her
Its
Our
their

·         Yes/No questions and short answers with be
Are you free?
Is David from Mexico?
Is Beth’s class in the morning?
Are You and Beth in the same class?
Are Your classes interesting?
Yes, I am
Yes, he is
Yes, it is
Yes, we are
Yes, they are
No, I’m not
No, he’s not/No, he isn’t
No, it’s not/No, it isn’t
No, we’re not/No, we aren’t
No, they’re not/No, they aren’t

·         Simple present Wh-questions and statements

What do you do?
 Where do you work?
Where do you go to school?
Where does Andrea work?
What does she do?
How does she like it?
I’m a student, and I have a part-time job
I work at/in a restaurant
I go to the University of Texas
She works at Thomas Cook Travel
She’s a guide. She takes people on tours
She loves it
I/You
He/She
Work
Take
Study
Teach
do
go
have
Works
Takes
Studies
Teaches
Does
Goes
has

·         Time Expressions
I get up
I go to bed
I leave work
I get home
I stay up
I wake up
At 07.00
Around ten
Early
Late
Until midnight
Before/after noon
In the morning
In the evening
In the afternoon
At night
On Saturdays
On sundays
On weekdays
On weeknights
On weekends
On fridays
Expressing clock time
07:00
Seven
Seven o’clock
7:00 A.M= 7:00 in the morning
7:00 P.M=7:00 in the evening



·         Demonstratives; one, ones
How much is
This necklace?
This one?
That necklace?
That one?
Which one?
The blue one
It’s $42.
How much are
These earrings?
These?
Those earrings?
Those?
Which ones?
The yellow ones
They’re $18.
Prices
$42 = forty-two dollars
$59.95 = fifty-nine ninety-five OR   fifty nine dollars and ninety-five cents
 


·         Preferences; comparisons with adjectives
Which one do you prefer?
spelling
Cheap  = cheaper
Noce = nicer
Pretty = prettier
big = bigger

 spelling
Cheap  = cheaper
Noce = nicer
Pretty = prettier
That one is cheaper than the wool one
      I prefer the leather one
This one is nicer than .....
Which one do you like better/more?
The leather jacket is prettier than .....
      I like the leather one better/more.
It looks bigger than .....

It’s more stylish than ....

·         Yes/No and Wh-questions with do
Do you like rap?
   Yes, I do. I like it a lot
   No, I don’t like it very much
Does he play the piano?
   Yes, he does
   No, he doesn’t
Do they like the beatles?
   Yes, they do. They love them
   No, they don’t like them very much
What kind of music do you like?
     I like rock a lot
Object Pronouns
Me
You
What does he play?
     He plays the guitar
Him
Her
It
Who do they like?
     They like U2
Us
them

·         Would; verb + to + verb
Would you like to go out on Friday?
Would you like to go to a soccer match?
Contractions
   Yes, I would
    I’d like to, but I have to work late
I’d = I would
   Yes, I’d love to. Thanks
    I’d like to, but I need to save money
   Yes, I’d really like to go
    I’d like to, but I want to visit my parents






·         Present continuous
Are you living at home now?
Yes, I am
No, I’m not
Is your sister working for the government?
Yes, She is
No, she’s not/No, she isn’t
Are Ed an Jill going to college this year?
Yes, they are
No, they’re not/ No, they aren’t
Where are you working now?
I’m not working. I need a job
What is your brother doing these days?
He’s travelling in the Amazon
Who are your parents visiting this week?
They’re visiting my grandmother

·         Quantifiers
100%
All
Families have only one child
Nearly all
Most

Many
Families are smaller these days
A lot of
Some

Not many
Couples have more than one child
A few
Few
0%
No one
Gets married before the age of 18

·         Adverbs of frequency
How often do you exercise?
   I lift weights every day
   I go jogging once a week
   I play soccer twice a month
   I swim about three times a year
   I don’t exercise very     often/much
Do you ever watch TV in the evening?
   Yes, I often watch TV after dinner
   I sometimes watch TV before bed
   Sometimes I watch TV before bed
   I hardly ever watch TV
   No, I never watch TV
100 %
Always

Almost always
Usually
Often
Sometimes
Hardly ever
Almost ever
0 %
never

·         Questions with how; short answers
How often do you work out?
   Every day
   Twice a week
   Not very often
How long do you spend at the gym?
   Thirty minutes a day
   Two hours a week
   About an hour on weekends
How well do you play tennis?
   Pretty well
   About average
   Not very well
How good are you at sports?
   Pretty good
   OK
   Not so good


·         Simple past
Did you work on Saturday?
   Yes, I did. I worked all day
   No, I didn’t. I didn’t work at all
Did you go anywhere last weekend?
   Yes, I did. I went to the movies
   No, I didn’t. I didn’t go anywhere
What did Rick do on Saturday?
    He stayed home and studied for a test
How did Meg spend her weekend?
    She went to a karaoke bar and sang with some friends

·         Past of be
Were you in Hawaii?
Was the weather OK?
Were you and your cousin on vacation?
Were your parents there?
How long were you away?
How was your vacation?
Yes, I was
No, it wasn’t
Yes, we were
No, they weren’t
I was away for a week
It was excellent!
Contractions
Wasn’t = was not
Weren’t = were not

·         There is, there are; one, any, some
Is there  a laundromat near here?
   Yes, there is. There’s one across from the shopping center
   No, there isn’t. But there’s one next to the library
Are there any grocery stores around here?
   Yes, there are. There are some nice stores on Pine Street
   No, there aren’t, but there are some on Third Avenue
   No, there aren’t any around here
Prepositions
On
Next to
Near/close to
Across from/opposite
In front of
In back of/behind
Between
On the corner of

·         Quantifiers; how many and how much
Count nouns
Noncount nouns
Are there many restaurants?
   Yes, there are a lot
   Yes, there are a few
   No, there aren’t many
   No, there aren’t any
   No, there are none
How many restaurants are there?
   There are ten or twelve
Is there much crime?
   Yes, there’s a lot
   Yes, there’s a little
   No, there isn’t much
   No, there isn’t any
   No, there’s none
How much crime is there?
   There’s a lot of street crime



·         Describing people
General appearance
Age
Height
Hair
What does she look like?
    She’s tall, with red hair
    She’s georgeous
Does he wear glasses?
    Yes, and he has a beard
How old is she?
   She’s about 32
   She’s in her thirties
How old is he?
   He’s in his twenties
How tall is she?
  She’s 1 meter 88
  She’s 6 feet 2
How tall is he?
  He’s quite short
How long is her hair?
   It’s medium length
What color is his hair?
   It’s dark/light brown
   He has brown hair

·         Modifiers with participles and prepositions
Who’s Raoul?
Which one is Raoul?
Who’s Liz?
Which one is Julia?
Who are the smiths?
Which ones are the Smiths?
He’s the man
He’s the one
She’s the woman
She’s the tall one
They’re the people
They’re the ones
Wearing a green shirt
Talking to Liz
With short black hair
In jeans
Next to the window
On the couch

·         Present  perfect; already, yet
The present perfect is formed with the verb have + the past participle.
Have you been to a jazz club?
Has she ridden in a streetcar?
Has he called home lately?
Have they eaten dinner yet?
Yes, I’ve been to several
Yes, She’s ridden in one
Yes, he’s called twice this week
Yes, they’ve already eaten
No, I haven’t been to one
No, she hasn’t ridden in one
No, he hasn’t called in months
No, they haven’t eaten  yet
Contractions
I’ve = I have
You’ve = you have
Hasn’t = has not
He’s = he has
She’s = she has
It’s = it has
We’ve = we have
They’ve = they have
Haven’t = have not

·         Present perfect vs. Simple past
Use the present perfect for an indefinite time in the past
Use the simple past for a specific event in the past
Have you ever eaten Moroccan food?
Yes, I have. I ate it once in paris
No, I haven’t. I’ve never eaten it
Have you ever had green curry?
Yes, I have. I tried it several years ago
No, I haven’t. I’ve never had it

·         Modal verbs can and should
What can I do in Mexico city?
What should I see there?
    You can see the palace of Fine Arts
    You should visit the National Museum
    You can’t visit some museums on Mondays
    You Shouldn’t miss the Pyramid of the Sun


·         Infinitive complements
What should you do for a cold?
It’s important
It’s sometimes helpful
It’s a good idea
To get a lot of rest
To eat garlic soup
To take some vitamin C

·         Modal verbs can, could, may for requests; suggestions
Can/May I help you?
What do you suggest/have for dry skin?
Can I have a box of cough drops?
Try some of this lotion
Could I have something for a cough?
I suggest some ointment
May I have a bottle of aspirin?
You should get some skin cream

No comments:

Post a Comment